Thursday 31 December 2015

Apple and Cinnamon Bundt Cake

This recipe is originally a Martha Stewart recipe and the bundt cake I produced using it was honestly one of the most delicious things I have ever made (and I always say that puddings are not my strong point!). I saw Nigella making a bundt cake in her Christmas programme, but, when I looked online, there were only American recipes for bundt cakes. Therefore I decided to fill the gap and rewrite Martha's recipe using British measures (I don't have cups, y'see). I have adapted the amounts using this marvellous converter which has proven invaluable for my progression into the baking world. I made this recipe for Christmas Day tea time, and it was fantastic with a cup of milky chai tea. Yum yum!

Apple & Cinnamon Bundt Cake

375g plain flour
1-2 tbsp cinammon
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
250g butter, melted
263g brown sugar (soft not granulated)
4 eggs
6 Granny Smith apples, peeled & cored

Glaze

white icing sugar
boiling water

Martha Stewart's Method

  1. Preheat oven to 150°C or Gas Mark 2. Make the cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
  2. In a large bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and eggs. Whisk until smooth. Gradually whisk in dry ingredients just until combined (do not overmix). Using a rubber spatula, fold in apples. Spoon batter into a 12-cup nonstick Bundt pan, and smooth top. Bake until a tester inserted in cake comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in pan on rack 15 minutes; invert onto rack to cool completely.
  3. Make the Glaze: Whisk together confectioners' sugar and enough water to form a thick yet pourable glaze. Set rack with cake over a piece of wax paper (for easy cleanup); drizzle cake with glaze, and let set before serving. 
Original photo by Lucy   

No comments: