Wednesday 17 December 2014

Homemade chilli oil

And relax   It is that time of year again, where I am off work and I can finally feel festive.  Last year I marked this occasion by making peanut butter fudge (sublime), so this year I decided to make chilli oil.  I came across this idea through lack of time (a cruel mistress).  I firstly considered making sloe gin / flavoured vodka, but after checking it out online, I realised I needed to have had six months prior, rotating the stuff and nurturing it like a tiny infant.  So - an easier and quicker option was this - but one which, I hope, will be just as appreciated by my family and loved ones this yule tide.

My recipe:
  • Oil - ideally olive oil, but can be a mix of olive and vegetable, e.g. Olivio
  • Whole dried chillies (as big and pretty as possible - remember, they will be looked at!)
  • Dried flaked chillies
  • Bottles (I would suggest the Italian swing lidded type)
  • Small saucepan with a lip
  • Measuring jug with a lip or funnel
  • Cooker

The method is very simple.   Heat the oil in batches (safety first!) over a gentle heat for roughly 3-4 minutes.  The oil should absolutely not smoke or bubble.  In the oil, you should put 3-4 whole, and a good pinch of flaked, chillies.  Whilst you wait for the oil to heat, sterilise your bottles by pouring boiling water into them and draining them out.  Carefully pour the oil (use your initiative for the heat - i.e. don't start pouring boiling hot oil, as it will burn if it touches your skin, leave it to cool slightly) into your measuring jug to make it easier to pour into the bottles (or use a funnel if you have one).  You will find the chillies won't easily pour into your bottles, so carefully, using a knife, tweezers or tongs, take the chillies out of the pan and put them into the bottles of oil.  The chillies will, irritatingly, stay at the top of the oil rather than sink down but with some shaking they do sink slightly.  Shut the bottle securely and give it a shake.  If the bottle feels hot, then leave it to cool before handling it (again, use your initiative with this).  Leave your lovely chilli oil to infuse over the next week or two, giving it a shake up now and again to help the flavour and colour disperse through the oil.  Happy drizzling!

 Ideal for use on pizzas, salads, stews, curries, frying... the list of uses is endless!

No comments: