Tuesday 16 October 2012

The over-use of the word 'passionate'...

...drives me mad.


passionate (ˈpæʃənɪt Pronunciation for passionate 

Definitions

adjective

  1. manifesting or exhibiting intense sexual feeling or desire ⇒ a passionate lover
  2. capable of, revealing, or characterized by intense emotion ⇒ a passionate plea
  3. easily roused to anger; quick-tempered

Synonyms

View thesaurus entry
I think my intense hatred for the over-use of The Word (as it shall be referred to henceforth), comes from my English teacher at A Level. Whilst applying for universities, she asked to see my personal statement (remember that hell?). I'd gamely written something along the lines of, 'I am passionate about reading.' She said: 'Are you though? Do you mean you like reading? You love reading? You're an enthusiastic reader? Or do you want to hug and kiss reading?' 'No! I don't want to hug and kiss reading!' The 17-year-old me exclaimed, aghast, quickly crossing out The Word and changing it for something better. Even now, when sub-editing articles, I see The Word crop up all over the place, endlessly, and I promptly cross it out, endlessly.

So, unless you are using The Word
 in its proper place, i.e. when describing something that gives you an 'intense sexual feeling or desire, intense emotion or quick-temper' (Collins never lies), then I urge you to obliterate it from your sentences. For ever. Thanks. (And don't get me started about 'genuinely'; the word that genuinely seems to crop up in every single utterance from some people's mouths, genuinely. When it does not mean anything. At all. Grr.) 



No comments: