Thursday 11 October 2012

Shhh, no talking please

In yesterday's Metro (10 October) there was an article about a nifty new system for cabbies to know whether their passengers want to be talked to via a 'talk/don't talk' sign. Quite frankly, I cannot think of a better invention. I have used many a cab in my time and generally speaking I enjoy a chat, especially along the lines of, 'Where've you been tonight darlin'?'. But not always. Oh no. And silence always feels a bit awkward if someone has asked you something, you have answered in a monosyllabic manner and then pointedly got out your book. It got me thinking about other times when I would prefer not to be bothered (I mean, helpfully informed of X Y and Z). In the hairdresser for example. I have a wonderful place that I go to right opposite work (convenient, inexpensive, friendly - too friendly?). So, every few months, I go there for a shampoo, cut and sit under the heaters. Bliss. A time for quiet reflection of the day/week and a chance to take my generally oh-so-absent lunch break in peace? Oh no. My hairdresser (let's call her Dee), charming as she is, and she really is charming, will not take my subtle hints of, 'Oh golly-gosh I'm TIRED, what a DAY!' (I have never used the term 'golly-gosh'... it adds to the story though, so is important), or my fixed stare at the three-month-old issue of Heat, or even my closed eyes, to deter her from asking me about, literally, everything. EVERYTHING. What am I doing on my holidays? NO. That is a question for the amateur hairdressers of the world. She asks me in-depth questions about my life, my love life, my family life... if I had a dog, my dog's life. And unfortunately I am just too darned nice to tell her to mind her own business and let me rest! Why do I go back time and time again, I hear you cry? Well, she does a good haircut, and did I mention that she is charming? (She gives me 'free' herbal teas). I just wish I had a sign to use on those particular days when all I want to say is, 'Shhh, no talking please'.  

No comments: