Saturday 27 October 2012

Battered calamari and prawns

Tonight I made one of my favourite pub classics: battered calamari and prawns. Although for many seasoned cooks this is something ridiculously simple, and not something to shout about, but, for me, this was quite a feat, because, believe it or not, I've never battered anything in my life! A simple google search later, I realised I had everything for my Saturday night seafood cravings. I've watched more cookery shows than I would like to admit, but I couldn't remember whether it was the dip in egg then flour, or vice versa. The Internet wasn't particularly helpful - there were recipes for both. So I decided to do a leap of faith and (drum roll)... egg first, then flour.

Self-raising flour
1 egg
Salt
Pepper
Paprika
Olive oil
King prawns and squid rings (pre-cooked)

1. Beat the egg in a bowl; combine the flour, salt, pepper and paprika in another
2. Put 2 inches of olive oil in a saucepan and put on a medium heat to get hot (I decided to shallow fry rather than deep fry as this was my first outing into frying stuff)
3. Plonk your seafood into the egg, mix, then, one at a time, put each piece into the flour mixture, ensure each piece is covered fully
4. Place each piece of seafood into the hot oil (it should be shimmering, not boiling and not smoking)
5. After 1-2 minutes, depending on oil temperature, flip the seafood over using a fork and slotted spoon
6. Once each side is golden brown and crispy, take them out of the oil and place on paper towel (if you have it, I didn't) to cool down and drain off any excess oil (with shallow frying, this is less necessary than with deep frying)
7. Enjoy with tartar sauce - yum!


No comments: