Saturday 9 July 2011

Chocolate-orange and vanilla muffins

This afternoon I got out my apron and got baking: my original recipe was chocolate and vanilla, but, due to rather too little cocoa powder for the recipe and a lone orange in my fruit bowl, I thought I would adapt!

Ingredients:

Makes 12 muffins

5 oz (150g) unsalted butter, softened
5 oz (150g) sugar
6 oz (175g) plain flour
1 tsp baking power
4 eggs
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 orange, juiced

Method:

  1. Mix all the ingredients together until smooth, although do not over mix, as you want the bubbles to remain to make the cakes light. 
  2. Put mixture into muffin tin and bake for 18 minutes in the oven, pre-heated at 180 degrees Celsius.
  3. Turn out of tin, and leave to cool on a wire rack.



~The proof is in the eating~

These muffins have a subtle taste, beautifully balanced, with a light, spongy texture.   If I were to do this again, I would add dark chocolate chips and grated orange peel to make the flavours a little more intense.

No comments: