Thursday 17 December 2015

Breakfast of eggs, tender stem broccoli, avocado and red onion

Breakfast. The most important meal of the day. Something I have always heard, but, until recently, found it quite difficult to believe. With my morning rush to work an all to very apparent reality, breakfast has always been something that has been put on the back burner. Not any more, however. I think I have found the perfect quick, delicious and nutritious breakfast formula.

Eggs, tender stem broccoli, avocado and red onion
Eggs are the most versatile, beautiful and nutritious sources of protein, so I use them whenever I can. Moreover, the maximum time it takes to cook them is 8 minutes (for hard boiled) and can be as little as 90 seconds (for lightly scrambled), so busy rushers like me can use them often. I like to use Organic eggs if I can (and always free range if I can't buy Organic) as I am a big believer in proper manufacturing methods and happy animals!

Tender stem broccoli is the gorgeously sweet, better looking cousin of regular broccoli. Although slightly more expensive than its original form, it really does prove excellent in this dish as you can simply hand snap it and toss it into the pan. No messing around. I like a good crunch and bite, so I don't like to cook it for too long. Moreover, if there isn't a bite, it is likely to have lost vital nutrients, so keeping it al dente is key.

Avocado is simply a wonderful addition to any dish. I was concerned it wouldn't fit with the hotter elements of the dish, but I was completely wrong. It is a fabulous contrast with its cool creaminess, giving a different texture and temperature to its plate buddies. It really helps to balance out the dish.

Red onion is an ingredient I have come to rather late on in my cooking career; always favouring the normal white onion as it has a punch and a kick, a little like a wayward child. Red onions, however, are much sweeter, and can be cooked in a matter of minutes (and can even be eaten raw, if you're not concerned about your breath!), which makes them ideal for this on the go breakfast.

Ingredients (for 1):

1-2 eggs (small, medium, large, x-large; your choice!)
6 stems of tender stem broccoli
half an avocado
quarter/half a small red onion
chilli oil

Method:

1) Put a teaspoon of chilli oil into your non-stick frying pan and gently heat
2) Using your hands, break up the stems of brocolli into 3 inch pieces (i.e. each stem is broken roughly into two). Throw them into the pan and allow them to sizzle. Give the pan a little shake, so that all the broccoli is exposed to the pan and has some oil on it.
3) Chop the red onion into slices. I like them quite chunky, but do chop as you see best (you might want a finer dice, or rings). Throw them into the pan and, again, have a shake around and a mix,
4) Now the broccoli should be getting a little tinge of char on the edges, this is great. Just keep an eye on it as you don't want it to actually just be burnt!
5) Whilst the onions are sweating down and the broccoli is tenderising, now is your chance to prepare the avocado. I like just a half an avocado with this dish, but, if you have a giant appetite, obviously have a whole one. I cut the avocado in half, take out the stone, and then lightly score down to the skin slices. I then use the knife to score round the edge to pop the buttery flesh out onto the plate.
6) The time to prepare the avocado is all you need to finish off the broccoli and onions, so take them off the head and add them, spilling all around, to the avocado.
7) Finally, the egg. I like to do it as a fried egg, but, again, please do it as a poached egg, or even perhaps scrambled. I break the egg into the pan that has been used with the onions and broccoli, as the egg takes on those delicious flavours. Fry for roughly 3 minutes, and then, carefully, using a spatula, flip the egg over, so the yolk stays runny but it has a wonderful crust over it. Fry for another minute tops.
8) Take the egg out of the pan and lay it on top of all the other ingredients. When you cut into the egg its yolk will ooze and spill all over everything, leaving in you in culinary heaven.

Optional extra: Sour dough toast or a warmed through crumpet. These both are wonderfully textured sources of carbohydrates which really lend themselves to dripping eggs and smooth avocado.

Enjoy!



No comments: