Wednesday 22 July 2015

Simple Summer Pavlova

I decided to make a pavlova for a recent dinner party.  In fact, I had planned to make Eton Mess because I had never made meringue before, so was assuming I'd have to cut my losses and smash up the wreck and ruin of my good intentions; but luckily my meringue was perfect, so I was able to make it a full blown pavlova. I read recipes saying I'd need icing sugar, but I didn't have any, so I just winged it with extra caster sugar.  It worked well.  Here is my recipe: 

Serves 4 generously

Ingredients:
  • 3 egg whites
  • 4/5 tablespoons of caster sugar + extra according to taste
  • Double cream
  • Strawberries / Nectarines / other soft fruits of your choice
Equipment:
  • Large mixing bowl
  • Two little bowls for separating eggs
  • Electric Whisk
  • Flat baking sheet
  • Greaseproof paper
  • Oven
Method:

  1. Separate the eggs, keeping the egg whites and keeping the yolks for another time.
  2. Beat the egg whites on medium speed until fluffy like marshmallow.
  3. Spoon in the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, and beat on high speed until all added. The mixture should now be in peaks and be glossy.
  4. If you like, taste mixture to see if it needs more sugar (add more to taste).
  5. Put the oven onto a very cool setting (almost the lowest you can get!) - I use 120C.
  6. Put grease proof paper on the bottom of a flat tray.
  7. Spoon on the mixture and level it out so that it's as even as possible.
  8. Put the meringue into the oven for 55/60 minutes (or until crisp all over and very slightly coloured).
  9. Turn the oven off, open the door and leave the meringue to cool off in the dry air (this makes it crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside).
  10. Once completely cool, peel the meringue off the greaseproof paper (I used a friend to help me with this as it's very fragile!).
  11. Whip double cream and spread on top of the completely cool meringue and then add the fruit.  I used strawberries and nectarines.


No comments: