Monday 10 October 2011

Roller D.i.s.c.o

On Saturday I went and did something I never thought I would do: I went to the Roller Disco at the Vauxhall Renaissance Rooms.   Why the extreme aversion?  well, when I was younger I went roller blading and fell over and hurt my (ample) posterior.  That began my life-long hatred for all things roller.   Twelve years later I decided to give it another go.   The Renaissance Rooms are down the end of a back-alley located near a main road, not too impressive so far.   But when you enter the unimposing doors you are hit with the neon and bright lights of the bars and tons of brightly coloured, 80's outfitted, liqueured-up girls and guys.   Fabulous.   We queued up, handed in our shoes and got our massive, clunking roller skates.   Somehow I got my skates on and stood up (hard with absolutely no recognition of the break bit at the front!)  I could not move.   My hand was grabbed and I was dragged to the bar, where I held on for dear life (drama drama).   To cut a long story short, I sprained my thumb after trying to get up a second time, so, being a wimp, with absolutely no pain threshold whatsoever, I decided enough was enough, after an epic ten minutes.  For the next five hours I managed pretty unhurt, although I did sprain my ankle, falling off my five inchers ... but that is an easy price to pay for fabulous shoes ...

No comments: