Thursday 23 June 2011

Lorraine Pascale


In Sainsbury's today I saw Lorraine Pascale, the model-turned-TV chef (you might have seen her programme, Baking Made Easy, BBC, 2011).   Let me describe how I recognised her: a very tall black lady walked past me with a short, white, bald man.   The man is entirely irrelevant in this story, but I instantly thought (terribly of me, perhaps) 'how on EARTH did he get her?!'   I caught up with the dynamic duo around the butter and cream section, and, as soon as I saw Lorraine's face, I recognised her.   As said in one of my previous entries, I can spot a celebrity from a mile away, and I particularly recognised Lorraine from her teeth, and the fact that she has that very definite 'model look' (tall).   I to'd and fro'd between going up and saying hello, but she seemed a little stressed, and, as the self-service machine broke down in front of her, I thought it would be probably best to...um...not.

Lorraine particularly interests me because, as far as I can see (from my extensive google research), she is the only British black female TV chef.   We have Ainsley Harriet, who despite the name, is quite clearly a man, whereas the women chef contingent is represented primarily by homely Delia and sexy Nigella.   I wonder why this is?   I say Britain needs more ethnically diverse female TV chefs please!

If you are interested, here are some of Lorraine's recipes:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/chefs/lorraine_pascale 

1 comment:

DWMF said...

Oh there are lots of black women TV chefs: Rusty Lee (who I think is Ainslee's mum), Floella Benjamin. I could go on...